Jan 3, 2013

Dragon Mom


I was “That” kid.  Straight A student. Captain of the cheerleading team and volleyball team.  I ran track.  I sang (and won) singing competitions.  Competition was important to me.  Grades were everything. 

Fast forward.

Many of my friends are all about the latest outfits for their kids, the best colleges, getting the right grades, having a well rounded “resume”, extracurricular activities.  They are trying to help their kids get ahead.  Recently I’ve heard it termed the “Tiger Mom”.  And I understand it.  I thought for sure that is the kind of mom I would be. 

I have 6 kids with varying degrees of special needs.  My focus is soooo completely not the same.  I care about happiness and health and balance.  I fight for these things.  I teach citizenship and morality, how to make friends and skills needed to get a job. 

I couldn’t care less about the tiger mom type of list. 

I think life is short.  Childhood is even shorter. 

And I ask myself often … what is this life all about?  And not to sound trite but … “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.  This is the first and greatest commandment.  And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself.” (Matthew 22:37-39)

So I wonder often how to do THAT.  And I have no clue. 

And what about Manny?  How do you raise a child that you’re not sure will live until adulthood?  I know that’s a heavy sentence out of the clear blue.  But it’s an honest question. 

A few months ago, I had a decision to make about a trip and they suggested I make it based on what Manny wants to be when he grows up.  And it hit me …

I’ve never asked him. 

You know how you ask every child by the age of 3 or so what they want to be when they grow up.  Fireman? Ballerina?

Um… I had no clue.   

I had never asked him. 

As I was reflecting on this whole conundrum the other day, I stumbled across an article. 

It’s a whole different take on the subject.  Hope you click on the link and read it.  It’s about a “Dragon Mom”.  Maybe you will begin to understand me a bit better by reading through this author’s eyes.   


 

1 comment:

  1. wow, just wow. That article is so accurate. So truthful. We are all just dust in the wind. Why have we lost sight of that. All that matters is love. Not grades or careers or possessions or, most importantly, the accomplishments of our children. Let them know love and they know God.

    ReplyDelete