Aug 11, 2013

Advocacy

When I first started blogging, it was called "Today's Reflection" because I had a goal to write a random thought daily.  And then life happened.  Then it morphed into mostly talking about the goings on of Manny as a way to communicate to family and friends in a quick, one stop shop place.

Today, I decided to launch something new.  But first, let me back up and explain.

When I was little, God gave me a heart to notice others.  He gave me an extraordinary faith that He would do anything and I saw that faith in action on countless occasions.

As I grew up, I was given lots of unique and interesting life experiences.  And unlike a lot of people, I actually PARTICIPATED in my life.  It didn't just "happen" to me.  I had near brushes with death and learned of my mortality early.

Along the way, I was given an interesting set of skills.  I sang my first solo at church at 3, for example.  I was on a stage practically from birth.  I feel comfortable there.  I've done singing, dancing, speaking, performing, piano, flute, etc all in front of audiences.  I've performed in front of lots of people.  It's like breathing.

I got degrees.  I had jobs where I would train people how to speak.  I trained trainers on how to teach others.

I was also given an ability to take complex information and put it in a simple way for many people to understand.  I guess that helped me in writing children's books.

Children came and there became a whole new set of references and life experiences.  The spiritual and physical parallels of Adoption.  Transracial issues.  Abandonment and Attachment.  The role of the Church in the role of caring for the Orphan and those with Special Needs.  Those became new things to discuss in the spoken and written word.

And now it's medical advocacy added to the mix.  (For example, I've been going nationwide speaking about Vascular Access ... a HUGE topic.)

Through it all, there's been a theme ... "Speaking for those who cannot speak for themselves".  It's my personal motto.  It comes from Proverbs 31:8.  So you might even see that come up.  It's part of my email, for example.  It's part of my facebook launch of my new endeavor.  (www.facebook.com/bethgore318  about to go "live")

I'm working on a new website... www.bethgore.com  ... also about to go "live".
I bought business cards today.

What's all this about?

I'm launching ... ME.

I've been struck by an Erma Bombeck quote for years,

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me'.


Truth is ... if I was facing God today, I couldn't say that.  Yes I've done a few things.  Yes, being a mother of 6 kids and pointing them to the Lord is my biggest ministry I'll ever do.  Yes, I have lots of reasons and excuses as to why I haven't.  But the truth is ... God has given talent I haven't used.  And I need to change that.  

So I'll need your help.  In the next bit, I'll be putting out what I can do and want to do.  And maybe you can brainstorm on things you know that are available.  Together we can launch this.

Like what?  Conferences, workshops, seminars, retreats... that kind of thing.  I'm also working on doing TV and Youtube things.  Press conferences.  Webinars.  Podcasts.  The sky is the limit. 

What are the main topics?  I want to become a voice for the special needs community.  I can't do it alone but I can certainly be a catalyst for this world.  

So stay tuned.  Wrack your brain.  Think of networking opportunities you have.  Relationships you have with people.  Skills you have.  Topics you think would be beneficial.  Avenues I haven't considered yet.  And if you want to join me on this new adventure, even better.  I'm not wanting to be a lone voice in this ... but I am ready to start speaking.  


No comments:

Post a Comment