Jan 11, 2014

Why I Support the AVA Foundation


Most of you know that Manny lives on a “Central Line”.  And it’s been his only source of nutrition for over 2 years.  In those years, we have had some dramatic incidents, times where we fell through the proverbial potholes in the journey, and times where we had exemplary care. 

During all this, I picked up a thing or two. Like any good mom would do...  I learned some things about Vascular Access and hospitals and protocols.  I researched.  I asked a lot of questions.  I made connections.  And I noticed a lot of potholes and did my best to notify people of those so the next family wouldn't fall though but instead, would drive on a smooth road. 

Somewhere in the middle of all this, I was connected with an organization called “AVA” … Association for Vascular Access.  Here is the evolution of that relationship thus far. 

November 2012 I was asked to speak at a local chapter for AVA.  I shared a bit about Manny’s story.  At the same meeting was Denise, the President of the AVA Foundation.  She shared the role of the foundation and the vision.  I was shocked at how the things they wanted to address were some of the potholes I knew about. Someone was headed the way I felt this world needs to head.  I went home from that meeting so excited, knowing these roads were going to continue to cross. 

January 2013, I was asked to speak to the Board of Directors for the AVA Foundation.  I was able to stay for their 1 and 5 year goal/vision planning session.  I sat in awe as they addressed the issues.  They knew the potholes.  They had plans to fix them. 

Like what goals?  Here are MY versions of the kinds of things we discuss: 
1. Nursing schools currently don’t require any vascular access training.  (Curriculum needs to get into all nursing schools.)
2. There are no required demonstrated competencies or in-service trainings related to vascular access. (There are on a host of other less common, less important skills, why not this?)
3. Evidence based research is lacking in the research.  (Many more quality studies need to be done and published.)
4. Vascular Access is a specialty area that is not yet recognized as such. 
5. The Community is unaware of the importance of this area of medicine.  (They need to be armed with a certain level of knowledge to be able to advocate for their loved ones receiving vascular access devices/care.) 

During 2013 I did various speeches for regional meetings for AVA, again, sharing Manny’s story. And I was asked to be on the Board of Directors for the AVA Foundation.   In November they nominated me in for my term to start in January. 

In August, I was asked to be a part of a video for the AVA Foundation.  (Click to watch ... it's short)

September 2013 I was asked to be a main session speaker for the AVA National Conference. 

Today, I again shared our story.  It was the first time the Foundation brought in people from the local networks across the country to hear about the Foundation.  The goal is for them to go back home and stir up their local networks in understanding and supporting the goals of the Foundation.

They asked me to share “Why I support the AVA Foundation”.  Over the past few weeks I have been thinking a lot about that question.  Some of the above history is part of the story. 

But the truth is pretty simple … Manny has me to fight for him.  What about the boy next door who has a single mother who has to work and he’s there alone? Or the little girl down the hall whose mother doesn’t speak the same language as the nurses?  What about the surgery patient across the way who has a family who just doesn't understand all this medical stuff?  Or the elderly woman who has nobody left?

Who will speak for them?

If you’ve been reading my blog for a while or been to my website or seen my business card, you know it says, “Speaking for those who cannot speak for themselves”.  It’s a quote from Proverbs 31:8.  In fact my email is bethgore318… and that’s why.  It’s a personal mission statement. 

And I actually feel I can make a difference in this world.  I believe I can be heard.  That lives can be saved. 

Like did you know … 50,000 people died last year due to vascular access related issues? It’s more than most of the diseases you know about and I bet you’ve never even heard about this.  

And this is where I come in…

In two weeks, I will meet with the AVA Foundation Board of Directors for the first time as one of their own.  I’m excited to see what roles I can play in this world.  Media opportunities, talking with the community, writing articles, giving more speeches, etc. 

Just like I say in the video … “Vascular Access is important.  And a lot more emphasis needs to be put on it. … This is going to save lives, lives like Manny.”

So why am I part of the AVA Foundation?  Because I have an important story to tell.  And by doing so, lives will be saved. 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment