Sep 26, 2009

Spoiled Brat

Wanna know a secret?

I'm a spoiled brat.  OK.  Must clarify.

This does NOT mean I am "high maintenance"... as I am not.  Quite the opposite in fact (a fact that dear hubby loves).  Proof?  I cut my own hair, color my own hair (the $2 bottle stuff, can't see paying more for it), buy all my clothes at Salvation Army or Good Will (other than undies, but that's another story for another time), etc. etc  So definitely NOT high maintenance.

This also does NOT mean selfish.  I don't think I'm that really either.  Sure, I like my way (who doesn't).  Sure, I think everyone tends to a bit of selfish.  But if you lined up every American woman from least selfish to most selfish, I'd end up below the halfway mark.

So how am I a spoiled brat?  Why thank you for asking.  I love the extremes.  I love those wild adventures of life.  I love when life sweeps me up and I'm carried away my something fun, way silly, scary, intense, passionate, etc.  If it's full of drama and intensity ... SIGN ME UP.   But I also love the other extreme of those quiet times.  I love snuggling with a child, cuddled up with a good book, rocking a sleeping baby, sitting quietly watching my waterfall in the back yard.  You know, *those* times.

I somehow dislike all the stuff in between (the hard work part) and I have just begun to realize (last Saturday) that makes me pretty spoiled.  You know all the stuff in the middle ... dishes, laundry, cooking, shopping, blah blah blah.  The "ordinary" the "typical.  Y U C K

OK .. still think I'm pretty "typical"??  Me too.

But HERE is where the rub is:  Our church has been pretty "ordinary" and "typical" lately.  No real sweet quiet times, no real grand adventures.  Just the hard work in between.  Sure there are moments but mostly hard work.

Last Saturday at church, God had done this really cool miracle of bringing people off the street and into our Church.  They were amazing ladies ... they had similar stories of God's testimonies.  They were fun, loving, Godly ladies.  God clearly LED them into our church.  What a GRAND adventure it was!  So much fun.


After they left, the praise team (I'm lead singer) got up and started into our set and we were plain giddy.  We were dancin' and laughin' and having a grand time.  The worship sounded better than usual, the praise went higher and I KNOW God was glorified.  At the end of the last song, I broke into a prayer ... and in the middle of that prayer, this "spoiled brat" thing hit me like a ton of bricks!  I apologized to God for it.

10 minutes later we were packing up and God led us to that next adventure (see post What are the odds?)  After that, a guy walked in from a meeting in a different room and Dan asked someone to pray for his girlfriend ... I was the closest so I did.  Apparently, God was giving me words of knowledge as I prayed because afterwards, this guy was like, "You were right on with x and y and x".  He even left, came back later and asked when our church is - he may want to pop in from time to time since God clearly shows up here.

As I face church tonight, I keep having those "spoiled brat" thoughts.  I am SOOOo hoping we have one of those quiet, grand times, those sweet times with God.  Or we have an amazing miracle.  I'm bored with the mundane things.  I think God shows up even in some of those times we consider "boring".  But I don't want to go back to the proverbial dishes and laundry.  And I think THAT makes me spoiled.

They say confession is good for the soul ... so my soul must be doing pretty well right about now. (sigh)

No comments:

Post a Comment