Sep 17, 2009

A New Beginning

The alarm goes off.  Way too early. But if I don't get up, the kids won't get up and then they'll be HERE all day instead of at school.  So I drag my tired self out of bed.
Not that long ago (last school year in fact), I could sleep in as late as I wanted ... we homeschooled. But this year, all that's changed.  And while I enjoy SOME (Ok, most) of the things associated with not having that role any more ... there is one thing that gets me: getting up.

Why? 
Because I'm staying up as late as ever to work.  Later even now that I'm trying to meet a deadline for my book.  So somehow the evening melds into the morning and all of the sudden - WHAMO ... beep, beep, beep. Time to do it all over again.

I don't even drink coffee.  (I know, I know).
As I sit here, the house is quiet.  I can hear the birds outside.  I can even hear my own thoughts.  I'm getting used to this new schedule.  And while I might not enjoy every moment of this new schedule, I am mostly glad I can work on projects that *I* want to work on.  I am making dents in things I've put on the back burner for years.  I'm feeling a sense of accomplishment of who I am as a person again (not just as a mother, a wife or the other roles).  I'm rediscovering what *I* like and what *I* have to contribute to the world.
So alarm ... you might not be that bad afterall.  (But don't be shocked if I still yell at you tomorrow morning when you go off waaay too early!)

No comments:

Post a Comment