Feb 8, 2010

Swallowing my peas

When I was a little girl, I hated peas.  I'd eat anything else on the planet but peas? ugh!  Truthfully, I'll still avoid them if I can.  But I would put them in my mouth and hold them there.  I wouldn't chew.  Wouldn't swallow.  Just hold a mouthful ... forever!  So there I was tasting it constantly instead of getting it in and out quickly.

Mom would eventually make me swallow but I wouldn't chew.  I'd swallow them with a big gulp of water like pills.  I'd then have a tummy ache from drinking so much water and having unchewed peas in my stomach. 

Clearly, this was a bad idea. 

Fast forward to now ...  I still do the same thing.  Not with peas but with metaphorical ones.

But first, and I can't be the only one who does this.  But I may be one of the few who will actually ADMIT that I do this.  I hide. 

If I have an unpleasant task that I don't want to do, I hide.  I might just go hang out in the other room.  I might actually crawl in bed when I'm supposed to be working.  But I hide. 

Eventually, THAT doesn't work so I do the next thing.  I find distractions.  I will do ANY task, even ones I HATE just to avoid the thing.  Like yesterday, I reorganzed under the kid's bathroom sink - I even de-gunked the toothpaste/toothbrush drawer.  I put all of the bows and barettes and twisties and ribbons in a whole new order.  (You get the idea?) 

I then cleaned the fridge and the freezer. 

ALL of this to avoid doing something. 

What, you might be wondering, could POSSIBLY be so bad that I'd rather hide or do all those jobs just to avoid it? 

a phone call.

I am now using Blogger as my accomplice to avoid making this dreaded phone call. 

So then I sit there staring at the task for hours, making myself nuts about it, thinking about it, dreading it, looking at the phone number, rehearsing what I'll say.  Why don't I just swallow the dang thing?

Gotta straighten out Zoe's health insurance.   It will probably be a lot better in the end but between here and the end is a lot of calls, patience, paperwork, begging, arguing, pleading, banging my head against a brick wall, talking to lots of enept people who have no clue what they're talking about, telling the story 1037 times, and just general ucky-ness. 

So unless any of you have any unpleasant tasks I can take care of for YOU, I have to make a phone call.

Anyone?

anyone?

anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment