Oct 12, 2010

Musings of Jacob

I've noticed some differences of being in the hospital with Jacob versus with the Baby (the only other one I've been in the hospital for recently).  I always thought lots more people came in to see Manny than needed to just because he's cute.  And who comes in to see a (sometimes) smelly, hairy teenaged boy? 

Yes, Jacob might have just turned 12.  And yes, he is 5'8" and 135 pounds.  Wears bigger clothes than I do and the same size shoe as Daddy.  He has a mustache and is getting facial hair.  Has long had armpit hair and lately has been telling me about his hair on his ... knuckles.  (Had you scared there, huh?)  Full teenaged boy status! 

But what people might not notice about Jacob is that he is one of the kindest, sweetest kids around.  He's interesting, funny and compasionate.  He has the greatest smile.  And behind those glasss ... he has the best eyelashes I've ever seen! 

Since he's been home with me, he's noticing all I do.  He told me he used to think my day was easy.  Take the kids to school, clean the house, watch House on TV while eating chips.  (That boy knows me! LOL)  And then he realized it was anything BUT that.  He said he was going to do something about making sure that happened one day.  To have just ONE HOUR of peace and quiet so I could do that.  (I thought it funny that he thought I only deserved one hour, but that's another story.) 

Last night, all of the sudden he says, "Hey Mom!  I Did it!!"  And we both realized we were sitting in quiet, watching House.  He then said, "Thanks kidneys."  And I didn't let him know it but I cried.  I'm crying now typing this.  I told him let's do this again, just him and me, spending some quiet time alone.  But next time, let's skip the painful part. 

And just in case you aren't fully in love with this smelly teenaged boy yet, here's another story from last week.  We were driving to yet another doctor's appointment.  He was in the back seat next to Manny.  Out of the clear blue he says, "What happens to Manny when you and Dad get too old to take care of him?" 

My heart skipped a beat.  I told him that first we would be thrilled because that meant God had healed him and let him live.  Secondly, if God heals him, then we're hoping He heals him all the way and he'll be able to take care of himself. 

And before I could get any further in the story, he interrupted to tell me, "I'll take care of him." 

Do you have any clue how hard it is to steer a 15 passenger van with tears strolling down your face? 

How did I get so blessed to be the one chosen to mother this precious soul? 

10 comments:

  1. You should've warned me, Beth....
    ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet young man, Beth. Thank you for sharing Jacob with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful son you have raised!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww Beth....what a blessing the Lord has given you in this precious son of yours! :) Thanks for sharing him with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jacob is truly an angel in disguise. Keep him close to your heart. A loving teenage son is a jewel of uncountable value!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got all teared up reading this...what an awesome boy you have there...and such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew when I met him what a sweet and precious boy he was...he's turning into a wonderful man. Thanks for sharing him with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful story and what a lucky mom you are to have such a kind and thoughtful son!

    ReplyDelete